Finally stopped to write. This will be brief, as I want to get back out there. Haven't been out long enough to crave the coffee shop yet!
Pre trip:
Thursday (11/6) was spent alternately bawling my eyes out and icing cakes for Jenn's wedding on Saturday. After making a few HUGE mistakes (like the wrong pan size on one layer) I finally finished with Chris's help and finished getting ready. Planning on getting up at 4 AM to finish cleaning/packing, I passed out and work up about 30 minutes before my renter got in...to a TRASHED house. Cleaned like mad, threw anything not put in storage into my car, neighbor Patrick loaded the cakes. Drove off. Dropped cakes off. Got pedi/mani (great way to start a camping trip, no?), went to rehersal dinner, had girl time (first time in how many years that Jenn, Steph, and I were together???), went to BEATIFUL wedding where one of the most wonderful people I know tied her life to a man she loves. Wonderful, fabulous reception followed, caught up with people I hadn't seen in ages (and some that I missed terribly and hope to stay in touch with), crashed at Kristina's (standard crash there), Don made it up to Dallas, and we were off.
The trip...
Don LOVES to drive. In the 1600 miles logged so far, I've driven about 100. We went straight to the dunes and have slowly downgraded accomodations. Hotel to friend's daughters room (Melanie, so great catching up with you...we need to stay in touch. Your stories win), car camping, backpacking. We're currently in Moab, and I understand why everyone is in love with this place. We've done Island in the Sky and are heading to the Arches, then Needles. Instead of going to Zion/Brice we'll turn north at the beginning of next week for Grand Teton's/Yellowstone, then angle towards Boise. Weather is perfect - nights around freezing, days chilly. I'm in heaven and don't want to come back. And this is day 4 of 80+. Yay vacation.
Things to remember:
Getting pulled over 2 times in Texas; "Ya'll find something funny here"; 62 year old Russian hottie that wouldn't shut up; Fellow dirtbaggers heading south; buying the only good coffee in Ute from a run away; snow in the saharah; "It won't hurt if you jsut fall over"...lying bastard; Catching the garden of the gods at sunset; turning out first night backpacking (in our own canyon) into an unintentional fast.
No comments:
Post a Comment