My gut reaction to Don had been very positive, hence the willingness to invite him on the first 2 weeks of the road trip when I really didn't know him outside of some casual group settings. He's just one of those people who seems so easy going, happy, and fun that there was no question of whether or not we'd travel well together. My gut was mostly correct, but in this case, I'd completely underestimated him.
Don and I spent 24/7 in very, very tight quarters with very, very poor personal hygeine. The car was filled, cargo to front seat with a pile of crap. We were together the entire time, with the exception of a 30 minute hike and bathroom time (which often took place quickly behind trees and by the car anyway). Coming from someone who has an occassionally excessive need for personal space, I started off worried. Now, after about 12 hours in a Don-free zone, I can honestly say that every single moment was enjoyable. The audio book went unopened, the radio stayed off often, silences were comfortable, and I cannot remember the last time I have thought, laughed, talked, sang, giggled, and simply been so comfortable in my life. Don is one of those rare finds, a person with whom you are so instantly comfortable and compatible with, that you know they will be in your life forever, and you cannot wait to see what kind of adventures they move on to. I have a very small number of those people in my life, and that relationship has always built slowly over time. In the space of two intense weeks, Don went from a virtual stranger to someone I hold in the highest regard.
If you get a chance, I highly recommend that you invite Don on a road trip. He is remarkable. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment